Tuesday, November 6, 2018

It's True - Gmail ignores "dots" in your account name!

I've known for years that you can use the "+" symbol to append words to your gmail username, for example, if your gmail account is "Bob.Barker@gmail.com", you can use "Bob.Barker+anything@gmail.com" and you'll get the email just as you would normally. This is a great tool to help identify spammers and I use it a lot when signing up for services I suspect might bombard me with email once I give them my email address. From there it's a simple matter to setup filters to get rid of them.

I just learned today though that another Gmail superpower is that they ignore the "dots" (periods) in your name as well. It's a subtler version of the "+" append superpower but just as effective. For instance, if you send an email to "BobBarker@gmail.com" (please don't, the poor man just want's to be left alone I'm sure), the email will be delivered! Not only that, but you can add periods as well, for example Bob.Bark.er@gmail.

So if someone asks for your gmail account and it's "First.Last@gmail.com", just omit the period or add one or two and you can identify the sender easily.

Pretty damn cool Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment