Thursday, November 15, 2018

Fallout 76 - First Impressions

Intermediate Review - I don't have quite as much time invested in the game as this Forbes Senior Contributor, but must admit I couldn't have said it better myself.  A must read for those Fallout fans still on the fence about purchasing it. - Spoiler alert, like myself, he doesn't recommend it.  This does not mean the game cannot be fixed Bethesda! Get ON IT.

Forbes - Fallout 76 Review - Look Upon My Works And Despair

Update - Aside from my babbling below, here's some real help to get started in the game.

Ten Things I Wish I Knew.... Forbes Magazine.

Am I the only idiot who didn't know you had to have a MS Gold account to play this game?

Making someone kick themselves in the ass for avoiding spoilers or other information about a game before they play it is not a good start. It took five minutes before I finally caved in at the start screen and re-activated my account. Why is this not clearly stated up front? I understand this may change as private servers come on line, but still. I can't play AT ALL if I don't have an active MS Gold account eh? Grrrr.

But let's back up a second. Before you even get that privilege consider this number, 3. As in 3 hours. Even with the physical disc it took over 3 hours to install this game and  there's no starting before it's done either! I saw the progress bar going in increments of tenths of percent and thought..."Are you kidding me?" This is going to take so long that they have to pacify me between whole percent increments? Yep. About 30 secs per 1/10th of a percent load. What's on Netflix?

Calm down...calm down...the game installed, I've caught up on "Last Week Tonight" and I have one month of Gold. No big deal for a game that will easily consume 100 hours of my time. The game is ready! So let's finally go see what this is all about!  Yeah!

WTF?  I spent 10 minutes making a character, create the ID, did a little exploring around the vault, got interrupted in real life and had to put the game down for about twenty minutes and now...I get to start over? Oh, hell no. 10 more minutes spent trying to get my original character back, but nooooo.

But okay...starting over...took a default face. But than there's my custom face still on the ID? I'm confussssssed! But screw it, let's get out of the vault, NOW.  Don't forget your initial stuff! What's this? Oh, perk cards! Yeah, let's level up a bit before we go out. WTF is this, Magic the Gathering?

Old people should stay away from modern games.

Fine. Picked a few cards, got the meager shit in the vault and now I'm outside.  Ewwww. Pretty! Where am I going? Why are my quests hanging in the right hand corner. Right D pad for inventory! WTF? Stimpak? I didn't need a stimpak.  Too bad!  Okay, stop. What's going on with my inventory menu? Ohhh. You changed how it works. I see what you did there. Better? Meh, maybe. We'll see how it goes. Move on!

Fast forward of one hour of poking around the woods, picking flowers, killing dogs, avoiding other players, crafting a few items, a couple of level ups, avoiding the main objective, joining a team event, admiring the scenery and ....

What's on Netflix? Sorry, but unlike Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4 where I'm checking the clock to make sure I leave enough time for a decent's night sleep, I put this game down within an hour. After getting home from work, waiting for the installation, fighting the setup, and then figuring out the new game controls, the desire to continue playing simply fell away.

Oh Bethesda. I'm sure it's a fine game, and I'll come back to it in due time, but for now, color me unimpressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment